Getting A Home Shipped To You? Buying Land And Placing An "Internet Home"
It's an interesting new trend. A few online retailers are now starting to sell full houses. While these houses are often billed as "cabins," they're not unlike the tiny houses that have become popular and trendy. And that has led some to consider purchasing undeveloped land and then getting a home shipped to them.
The Advantages of Internet Homes for Sale
Why is the idea of purchasing a home through the Internet so alluring? It's a way to get a small, trendy new home without having to pay a premium. You can purchase land through a real estate agent and pop a brand new home on top of it, without having to work through a manufacturer. Here are some primary advantages:
- You get to choose from a number of new models. Since the home is new, you don't need to worry about whether it could have older issues; you're starting from scratch with a property that you can maintain from the very beginning.
- You can customize your home as you build it. You'll be able to choose your paint, flooring, and everything else cosmetic about your home, rather than having to move into an already designed home and renovate it.
- You have complete control of your property. You don't need to work through a manufacturer or developer. You don't even need to hire a construction company if you don't want to.
- You may save money (if you do it right). If you purchase land that already has a home site, sewer, electricity, and cable run to it, there's minimal installation that you need to do.
Thus, Internet homes have a lot of DIY appeal, but that doesn't always mean that they're the right choice.
The Disadvantages of Internet Homes for Sale
Sometimes, an idea can be more appealing than the reality. There are some major issues with getting a home this way, too.
- The ticket price isn't the full price. The price is just the cost of the structure of the home. You still need to get plumbing and electrical in.
- You do need to be handy. The entire house isn't going to be shipped in one part: you will have some assembly that's needed.
- It can be cheaper to just buy a small house. These houses are cheaper specifically because many of them are very low square footage.
Discussing your plans with a real estate agent is important. They may be able to point you in the direction of a home for sale that could save you money. While purchasing a home through an eCommerce site does have a sort of "push button" appeal, they often don't net out in the positive.